Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Moreland School

 
 
State Historic Landmark 489 image. Click for full size.
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 19, 2006
1. State Historic Landmark 489
Inscription. Oldest known rural school district in California. Established 1851 as subscription school, meeting in private homes. First teacher, Charles Lafollette, 1851, term three months. Abraham H. Featherman, 1852, term six months. Through efforts of Samuel Curtis Rogers, third teacher, 1852-1854, first public school building, formerly home of Zechariah Moreland, obtained 1852. In 1853 Rogers secured organization of school as Santa Clara Township School District No. 2. Renamed in Moreland's honor, 1862.
 
Erected 1953 by California State Parks Commission, Moreland School District. (Marker Number 489.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 37° 18.054′ N, 121° 58.752′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on Payne Avenue east of Saratoga Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4335 Payne Ave., San Jose CA 95117, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gubserville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Winchester Mystery House (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Winchester Mystery House
Moreland School State Historic Landmark image. Click for full size.
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 19, 2006
2. Moreland School State Historic Landmark
(approx. 2 miles away); Winchester House (approx. 2 miles away); Country Woman's Club (approx. 2.1 miles away); Ainsley House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Courtyard (approx. 2.1 miles away); Campbell Fire Station (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Jose.
 
Regarding Moreland School. Today, nothing remains of the original school. The Original Moreland School building was in use until 1949, when the class sizes and age of the school became to large to effectively handle the student population and was closed. The original school bell was salvaged and now occupies space in front of the current Moreland School District office.
 
Categories. EducationLandmarksNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 1,705 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of school bell • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement