Creston in Calhoun County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Matthew's Lutheran Church
Parent Lutheran Church of This Area
In 1737-38, the elder Rev. John U. Giessendanner from Orangeburg began Lutheran work in this area; this was continued by his nephew until 1749. By the 1760s, St. Matthew's Lutheran Church near here was in use. A later building erected at this site in 1826 was replaced by the present church in 1900. (Marker Number 9-4.)
Location. 33° 37.069′ N, 80° 40.294′ W. Marker is in Creston, South Carolina, in Calhoun County. Marker is on Old Number 6 Highway (State Highway 6) near Sherlock Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Located about 7 miles South the town of St. Matthews. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron SC 29030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shady Grove Church (approx. 2 miles away); Honoring a Pioneer Woman (approx. 2.3 miles away); First Land Granted in Calhoun County Area (approx. 2.3 miles away); John Adam Treutlen (approx. 4.3 miles away); Good Hope Picnic (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Mt. Lebanon Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Santee~Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Jericho Methodist Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Calhoun County (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,421 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.