“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Owatonna in Steele County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Minnesota State Schools

Minnesota State Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
1. Minnesota State Schools Marker
Inscription. During its first session in 1858 the Minnesota State Legislature established the first of several schools for the training and care of citizens who suffered mental and physical disabilities and for children who were unable to care for themselves. The first school opened in Fairbault in 1863, after five years of delay due to lack of funds. Called an "Asylum," later an "Institute," and now an "Academy," its students were those who were blind and deaf. Separate schools were later established here for the blind, the deaf and the mentally deficient. In 1885, a State School for Dependent and Neglected Children opened in Owatonna. While it closed in 1970, the Fairbault schools continue to function.

The schools are similar in both style and plan to buildings found at Minnesota state hospitals and correctional facilities. A typical complex included separate buildings for administration, classrooms, gymnasium, a hospital dormitories, and service facilities such as a power plant, a laundry, and farm buildings. The farms allowed the schools to be partially self-sufficient. The schools were established by law to provide the students with activities and training, while protecting them from the "slights and rebuffs" of the outside world.

The first clinical psychologist to be employed in a mental retardation institute in the United
Minnesota State Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
2. Minnesota State Schools Marker
States was at the Fairbault State School. A.R.T. Wylie was that pioneer in the field of mental health research.

Several of the school buildings in Fairbault and Owatonna are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The school complex at Owatonna continues to serve the public. The buildings are used by the city, providing space for administrative offices, an art center, a museum interpreting the state school, and other uses.
Erected 1997 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 59.242′ N, 93° 15.154′ W. Marker is near Owatonna, Minnesota, in Steele County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 35 at milepost 35, 2.2 miles north of 93rd Street Southwest (County Highway 4), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at the north bound Straight River Rest Area. Marker is in this post office area: Owatonna MN 55060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. National Farmer's Bank of Owatonna (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rock Island Railway Station 1901 (approx. 7 miles away).
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement