Inscription. Marker Front:
St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease
One of two chapels of ease for St. James, Goose Creek Parish stood here on the road to Moncks Corner, about 7 miles from the 1719 parish church. The chapel of ease was a brick building with a cruciform plan. It was completed by 1725, during the tenure of the Rev. Richard Ludlum, but was already in ruins by 1820.
By Cathi Lee, October 31, 2009
|1. St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease Marker|
Bethlehem Baptist Church
Bethlehem Baptist Church, founded in 1812, built a frame church on this site.Described as a "neat wooden church adjoining the ruin" just moved before the Civil War, it was moved 4.5 miles NW in 1880. The church was renamed Groomsville Baptist Church for the Grooms family, which donated the land. Cemeteries laid out here by the Anglicans and Baptists are contiguous and intermingled.
Erected 2007 by Berkeley County. (Marker Number 8-48.)
Location. 33° 4.161′ N, 80° 1.391′ W. Marker is near Moncks Corner, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Highway 52 (State Road S-8-791) and Avanti Lane, on the right when traveling north on Old Highway 52. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation (approx. 2.2 miles away); Medway Plantation (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mount Holly Station • Mount Holly (approx. 2.9 miles away); Early Indian Trading Paths / The Goose Creek Men (approx. 3 miles away); Springfield Plantation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 3.6 miles away); Varner Town Indian Community (approx. 3.7 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 4.6 miles away).
By Charla Wilson Springer, April 4, 2008
|2. Bethlehem Baptist Church Marker|
More about this marker. This is a marker that replaced an older marker. The older marker was accidentally knocked over by a local company which subsequently paid for its replacement. I do not know the original date of the previous marker. The original marker read:Goose Creek Chapel
Here stood the Chapel of Ease
of the Parish of St. James, Goose
Creek, erected some time prior
Regarding St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church. There is currently an archaelogical dig trying to discover more about the architecture of this equal sided cross shaped brick curch.
Also see . . .
1. Goose Creek: A Definitive History : Planters, Politicians and Patriots. St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church are discussed in this book by Michael James Heitzler. (Submitted on January 7, 2010.)
2. St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease Historical Site. (Submitted on June 7, 2012, by Charla Wilson Springer of Moncks Corner, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2010, by Cathi Lee of Moncks Corner, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,985 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 7, 2010, by Cathi Lee of Moncks Corner, South Carolina. 2. submitted on February 2, 2010, by Charla Wilson Springer of Moncks Corner, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |