HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Santa Clara in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Armistice Oak Tree Site
 
State Historic Landmark 260-1 Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 19, 2006
1. State Historic Landmark 260-1
Nothing remains of the original site
 
Inscription. Here, on January 8, 1847, Francisco Sanchez, leader of a California band surrendered himself and some American prisoners and arms to Lieut. Grayson thus ending the “Battle of Santa Clara” or the “Battle of the Mustard Stalks” of January 2, 1847. This armistice ended the last uprising against the tide of American conquest in the Santa Clara Valley.
 
Erected 1962 by California State Parks Commission, City of Santa Clara Historical and Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 260.)
 
Location. 37° 21.156′ N, 121° 57.234′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is at the intersection of El Camino Real (California Route 82) and Lincoln Street, on the right when traveling south on El Camino Real. Click for map. Marker is located at the Geoffrey C. "Geof" Goodfellow Sesquicentennial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Santa Clara (here, next to this marker); De Anza Expedition 1775 – 1776 (here, next to this marker); Saint Clare (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Clara Campaign Treaty Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Fatjo House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Austen D. Warburton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Headen-Inman House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Clara.
 
Armistace Oak Tree Site Photo, Click for full size
By Leticia A. Kohnen, October 19, 2006
2. Armistace Oak Tree Site
This monument is located across from Civic Center Park, site of the Santa Clara Treaty Landmark site.
 
 
Rededication Plaque Mounted on the Left Side of Marker Base Photo, Click for full size
November 5, 2009
3. Rededication Plaque Mounted on the Left Side of Marker Base
Originally placed on the corner of Lawrence Expressway & El Camino Real in 1962. The California Landmark No. 260 plaque marking the “Armistice Oak Tree Site” was removed during the widening of the El Camino and rededicated in a new location in 1969 as part of the City of Santa Clara’s 117th birthday.
Sometime later it was again removed and disappeared. Rescued from a salvage shop in 1999. The plaque has been rededicated at this site in commemoration of the State of California’s Sesquicentennial September 9, 2000 and the City of Santa Clara’s 150th, July 5, 2002.

 
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 2,119 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 21, 2007, by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California.   3. submitted on November 10, 2009. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 203 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.