Grover in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Appleby's Methodist Church
This church was organized shortly after the Revolution and this site was deeded to seven trustees in 1787. One of them, Jacob Barr, was the first minister to serve here. Appleby’s Methodist Church was named for a prominent local family and the Greek Revival sanctuary here was most likely built between 1840 and 1850. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The cemetery includes plots of the Appleby and other area families, and the graves of some slaves as well. Capt. Morgan T. Appleby’s company was organized here for Confederate service in the spring of 1862, using the churchyard as its muster ground. Later Company C of the 24th S.C. Infantry, it served in S.C., Miss., Tenn., Ga., and N.C. from 1862 to 1865.
Erected 2002 by the Generals Gordon-Capers Camp #123, Sons of Confederate Veterans. (Marker Number 18-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 33° 8.214′ N, 80° 39.102′ W. Marker is in Grover, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Wire Road (State Road 18-19) near Cowtail Road (State Road 18-71 Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grover SC 29447, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Koger-Murray-Carroll House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Green Pond United Methodist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Grover Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Badham House / Dorchester Lumber Company (approx. 4.6 miles away); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (approx. 5.5 miles away); Shady Grove Camp Ground (approx. 10.2 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 10.4 miles away); St. Paul Camp Ground (approx. 10.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Grover.
Regarding Appleby's Methodist Church. Appleby Church is presumably named for James Preston Appleby, who donated four acres of land for the church site. The building is an excellent example of the Greek Revival, meeting house style of church architecture. It is a one-story wooden structure built upon low brick piers. It was probably built ca. 1840-1850 and is virtually original. The front façade features two double doors, each having two panels. Three low brick steps lead to the entrance. The side facades each have four evenly spaced 9/9 windows; the rear façade is identical to the front, with the exception
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.