Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Milford

 
 
Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
1. Milford Marker
front
Inscription. This area was settled in 1639 as an independent colony by a congregation of English Puritans led by their minister, the Reverend Peter Prudden. Land was purchased from Ansantawae, a sachem of the Paugusset Indians and originally named Wepewaug. It was renamed Milford in November, 1640, joined New Haven Colony in 1643, and Connecticut Colony in 1664.
Among the Regicides responsible for the trial and execution sentence of English King Charles I were William Goffe and Edward Whalley, who were sheltered here from royal authorities between 1661 and 1664.
A Connecticut group led by Robert Treat of Milford founded Newark, New Jersey, in 1666. The Reverend Samuel Andrew served as rector of Yale College from 1707 to 1719 and instructed the senior class in his home here.

[ back ]
Early industries included shipbuilding, oystering, seed growing, and the manufacture of carriages, boots, shoes, straw hats, and brass and bronze fabrications.
Noted earlier residents included Connecticut governors Robert treat, Jonathan Law, and Charles Hobby Pond, colonial lawyer Jared Ingersoll; Revolutionary leaders Charles Pond and Jehiel Bryan; explorer Peter Pond; and inventors George W. Coy, Frank J. Sprague, and Simon Lake.

 
Erected 1976 by City of Milford, Milford American
Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
2. Milford Marker
back
Revolution Bicentennial Observance Commission, Milford Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 13.316′ N, 73° 3.456′ W. Marker is in Milford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street (Connecticut Route 162) and Armory Lane, on the left when traveling south on Broad Street. Click for map. Located on the Milford Green. Marker is in this post office area: Milford CT 06460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milford World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Milford Volunteer Fire Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Milford Memorial Flag Pole (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Landing Site (about 600 feet away); Milford Memorial Stone Bridge (about 600 feet away); Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (about 600 feet away); Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine (about 700 feet away but has been reported missing); Milford Korea - Vietnam Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milford.
 
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to the City of Milford. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Early Milford, From The Connecticut Magazine Vol. V. No. 3 March, 1899
Milford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
3. Milford Marker
. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,349 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement