Kettering in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Watervliet Shaker Community
A Shaker village called Watervliet, Ohio, was located here from 1806-1900. The Shakers, originally called the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, were followers of Mother Ann Lee who came from Manchester, England in 1774 and established the first Shaker community in Watervliet, New York. The tenets of the religion included communal living, celibacy, and public confession of sins. The frenzied dance movements, which were part of the worship of their sect, gave the members the name "Shakers." Attracted by the great Kentucky revivals in the late 1700s and early 1800s, Eastern Shaker missionaries came west to find converts and establish communities. A discontented Presbyterian congregation in the Beaver Creek area called Beulah was the nucleus for the Watervliet Shaker community.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Watervliet, named for the New York settlement, was located on either side of County Line Road. It included 640 acres in Montgomery County and 160 acres of Greene County. At its peak, about 100 Shakers lived in the community. Watervliet, Ohio, was a self-sufficient agricultural community, deriving its income from the sale of garden seeds, farm produce at the Dayton Market-House, and stocking yarn peddled by members of the society.
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Kettering, Belmont Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 43.097′ N, 84° 6.272′ W. Marker is in Kettering, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Research Boulevard/County Line Road (Ohio Route 835) 0.1 miles north of Shakertown Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dayton OH 45430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cassano’s Pizza King® (approx. 2.7 miles away); Col. Robert Patterson (approx. 4 miles away); Erma Bombeck 316th Troop Carrier Squadron (approx. 4.2 miles away); 134th Fighter Interceptor Group (approx. 4.2 miles away); 44th Strategic Missile Wing (approx. 4.2 miles away); 4134th / 320th Bombardment Wing (H) (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Shadow (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Montgomery County, Ohio. (Submitted on January 10, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,354 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.