Near Sheldon in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ruins of Old Sheldon
Prince William's Parish Church
Built 1745-55. Burned 1779 by
British. Rebuilt 1826. Burned
1865 by Federal Army. Named for
ancestral home of the Bull family
in Warwickshire, England.
Second Sunday after Easter
Erected 1956 by Beaufort County Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Beaufort County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 32° 37.091′ N, 80° 46.866′ W. Marker is near Sheldon, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Old Sheldon Church Road north of Bailey Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yemassee SC 29945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sheldon Union Academy (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Frampton Lines (approx. 5 miles away); " The Frampton Line " (approx. 5.4 miles away); Southern Live Oak Tree (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Battle of Pocotaligo General Robert E. Lee (approx. 5.7 miles away); Combahee River Raid / Freedom Along The Combahee (approx. 6.1 miles away); Salkehatchie Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Sheldon Church. Beaufort County Churches (Submitted on January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Old Sheldon Church. More photos of the ruins, and a discussion of the Bull family and the surrounding community. (Submitted on January 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Old Sheldon Church Ruins. An article on the history of the church. (Submitted on January 17, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. Photos of Sheldon Church ruins from the Churches of America Project. (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Steven Hyatt of Charleston, South Carolina.)
1. from article Beaufort County Churches
The red-brick ruins of Sheldon Church, are off U.S. 17 on Old Sheldon Church Road, was originally Prince William's Parish Church. The Anglican church was built on land donated by William Bull beginning in 1745, finished around 1755. Bull was buried there in 1755. The original was adorned with equestrian statue of Prince William under a porch supported by the four free-standing Doric columns,
— Submitted January 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
2. National Register of Historical Places:
Sheldon Church Ruins ** (added 1970 - Site - #70000562)
Also known as Prince William`s Parish Church
• Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
• Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
• Architectural Style: Greek Revival
• Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History, Military, Politics/Government
• Period of Significance: 1750-1799, 1850-1874, 1925-1949
• Owner: Private
• Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
• Historic Sub-function: Cemetery, Religious Structure
• Current Function: Funerary, Religion
• Current Sub-function: Cemetery, Religious Structure
— Submitted January 15, 2011.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 5,137 times since then. Last updated on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 12, 13. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 14. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.