Ridgeland in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse
This county was established in 1912 from portions of Beaufort and Hampton counties and is named, it is said, for Sergeant William Jasper, hero of the American Revolution. The same act establishing the new county also designated Ridgeland (incorporated 1894) as the county seat. Charles E. Perry, John M. Langford. J.H. Woods, J.P. Wise and Rodger Pinckney were first county commissioners.
Jasper County Courthouse
Land for this Courthouse was given to Jasper County in 1912 by Charles E. Perry, a local farmer, lumberman, and merchant. The courthouse was completed in 1915 with William A. Edwards, a native South Carolinian as architect, and C.V. York as contractor. The Georgian Revival style building was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Erected 1993 by Ivy Garden Club. (Marker Number 28-10.)
Location. 32° 29.046′ N, 80° 59.103′ W. Marker is in Ridgeland, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is on Russell Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker on the Courthouse grounds in Ridgeland South Carolina. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. St. Paul's Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ridgeland (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gopher Tortoise Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Ridgeland Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 1.5 miles away); Grahamville (approx. 1.5 miles away); Euhaw Baptist Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgeland.
Regarding Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse. National Register of Historic Places:
Jasper County Courthouse ** (added 1981 - - #81000566)
♦ Historic Significance: Event,
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: ♦ Edwards,William Augustus, York,C.V.
♦ Architectural Style: Other, Colonial Revival
♦ Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Local
♦ Historic Function: Government, Recreation And Culture
♦ Historic Sub-function: Courthouse, Monument/Marker
♦ Current Function: Government, Recreation And Culture
♦ Current Sub-function: Courthouse, Monument/Marker
Jasper County Courthouse is the first
Also see . . .
1. Jasper County, SC. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Jasper County, SC Plantations. Most of the plantations in Jasper County grew cotton. (Submitted on March 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,264 times since then. Last updated on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.