Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Robinsonís son, Eugene, purchased the house from the other Robinson heirs in 1902. Between 1909 and 1912 he had it moved fifty feet north of its original site to make room for another structure. The house was purchased in 1928 by Joe and Bridget Macken, in whose family it remained until 1983. Both John Robinson and Joe Macken were Austin community leaders, serving at different times as chief of the volunteer fire department and city alderman.
Prominent features of the L-plan Robinson-Macken house include projecting bay windows with classical detailing, fine milled wood elements, dormer windows, and a mansard roof.
Erected 1986 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4309.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Rio Grande St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph and Mary Robinson Martin House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gilfillan House (about 300 feet away); Emma West Flats (about 500 feet away); West-Bremond Cottage (about 500 feet away); Moore-Flack House (about 600 feet away); The Boardman-Webb House (about 700 feet away); Ira Hobart Evans (about 800 feet away); Austin Womanís Club (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.