Apalachicola in Franklin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Methodist Episcopal Church South
Inscription. First United Methodist Church of Apalachicola was established in 1839 when Reverend Peter Haskew was appointed to serve the St. Joseph and Apalachicola Mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The original sanctuary, built and dedicated around 1846, was destroyed in 1900 by a fire that devastated the city, burning approximately 70 buildings. The present structure, erected in 1901 on the same site, has been in continual use since that time. The Gothic and Renaissance Revival style was typical of Protestant church architecture of the late nineteenth and early 20th centuries. The sanctuary is constructed of locally harvested black cypress ceiling with yellow pine tongue - and - groove walls and floors. The church building has consistently been included in the annual tour of historical homes held each spring, drawing several hundred people each day, many of whom return later for a leisurely appreciation of the town. The church congregation participates in the annual Florida Seafood Festival, and the structure is used for meetings by Philaco Woman's Club of Apalachicola, the Girl Scouts and other civic organizations.
By Tim Carr, July 28, 2008
1. Methodist Episcopal Church South Marker
Erected 2006 by First United Methodist Church And The Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-562.)
43.59′ N, 84° 59.154′ W. Marker is in Apalachicola, Florida, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Street and Avenue E (U.S. 98), on the right when traveling north on 5th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 75 5th Street, Apalachicola FL 32320, United States of America.
By Tim Carr, July 28, 2008
2. Apalachicola First United Methodist Church & Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hanserd-Fry House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards (about 400 feet away); Dr. John Gorrie (about 500 feet away); The Raney House (about 700 feet away); William Augustus Bowles (approx. 11.8 miles away).
Also see . . . History of Apalachicola First United Methodist Church. (Submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.