Kells in County Meath, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
Kells Heritage Trail
Suffolk Street is an anglicisation of the ancient name Siofac, the meaning of which is today uncertain. The Annals of the Four Masters mentions a fire in 1156 burning the area of Kells from the cross of the gate to Siofoic. The name may be derived from the existence of a suidhe, a fairy mound, possibly a prehistoric tumulus, at the junction of Suffolk and Farrell Streets. A hillock at this site was cleared away in the early 19th century with the widening of Farrell Street.
Erected by Meath Tourism.
Location. 53° 43.626′ N, 6° 52.763′ W. Marker is in Kells, Leinster, in County Meath. Marker is at the intersection of Cannon Street (Road 163) and Suffolk Street, on the left when traveling west on Cannon Street. Click for map. Marker is on the wall of the Round Tower Gift Shop, across Cannon Street from St Columba's Church.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Churchyard Wall (a few steps from this marker); St Columba's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Catherine Dempsey (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Kells Round Tower Headfort Place (approx. half a kilometer away); Market Cross (approx. half a kilometer away); Kells Courthouse (approx. half a kilometer away); Spire of Loyd (approx. 1.8 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Kells.
Also see . . .
1. Kells Heritage Town. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Kells Heritage Trail. (Submitted on January 13, 2010.)
Categories. • Natural Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 976 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.