“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Circleville in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Cotton Cards Factory

C.S.A. Cotton Cards Factory (Civil War) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
1. C.S.A. Cotton Cards Factory (Civil War) Marker
Inscription. Near this site in 1862-65. Used power from the San Gabriel River. Chartered by Confederate Texas during re-tooling of agricultural economy to meet demands of the Civil War years. Because trade of bales of cotton for finished cloth was no longer practical, and textiles had to be made at home, Texas imported through neutral Mexico, at costs of $4 to $20 a pair, thousands of cotton cards—stiff brushes that made fluffy cotton into firm, smooth “batts” to be spun into yarn or thread, quilted or made into mattresses. The administration of Governor F. R. Lubbock (1861–63) also acted to have cards made in Texas, in factories such as the one here, owned by Joseph Eubank, Jr. Heavy military demands (90,000 Texas men under arms; a 2,000 mile coastline-frontier to guard) plus reduced imports, caused fast expansion of industry. Arms and munitions plants were built, land grants were used to encourage production. Private effort met the need, and produced vital supplies for both the military and civilian populations. Confederate quartermaster set up depots and shops for military goods. Production of salt and “king cotton” was hiked to trade for scarce items. The State of Texas became a storehouse for the Confederacy.
Erected 1964 by the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9045.)
Location. 30° 38.161′ N, 97° 26.086′ W. Marker is in Circleville, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on State Highway 95. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David H. and Jerusha Dyches McFadin House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wilson Springs Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Site of Moravia School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Booth House (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Tenth Street United Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Taylor Brethren Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Doak Pavilion Site (approx. 4.4 miles away); Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Also see . . .  Williamson County Historical Commission. The old cotton card factory no longer stands. But this website has a picture of the old factory. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 105 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement