San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Peralta Home – Alta Mira Club
The house was originally sited on 40 acres of land with a palm-lined horseshoe drive and gardens that fronted East 14th Street. The house belonged to the Peralta family 1875. The wooden frame portion of the house was added by the next owner, A. C. Peachery, who owned the home until 1909, when it was purchased by Daniel Best.
When a realtor planned to demolish the house in 1926, the Alta Mira Club purchased the home to serve as its clubhouse. Since then the home has been owned and preserved by the Alta Mira Club.
Erected by City of San Leandro.
Location. 37° 43.837′ N, 122° 9.691′ W. Marker is in San Leandro, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Lafayette Avenue near Leo Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 561 Lafayette Avenue, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Peralta House (a few steps from this marker); Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.3 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Leandro Courthouse Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Little Brown Church (approx. half a mile away); Casa Peralta (approx. half a mile away); San Leandro – Cherry Festivals (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in San Leandro.
Regarding Peralta Home – Alta Mira Club. The Ygnacio Peralta House, now the Alta Mira Club is the first brick dwelling built in Alameda County. The house was built in 1860 by Peralta's son-in-law, William Toler, who deeded the land back to his father-in-law after the house and grounds were completed.
The walls are made of 14-inch bricks that were manufactured at the Alameda Brickyard Slough. The house passed out of the Peralta family's hands in 1875 and its next owner, A.C. Peachy, built an addition.
The exquisite interior, with Italian marble fireplaces, stained glass windows and curved ceilings painted with murals was left intact. The building was bought in 1926 by the Alta Mira Club, which has preserved its valuable history. The Ygnacio Peralta House is open to the public by appointment and can be rented for cultural and social
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,292 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.