Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Davidís Episcopal Church
Founders included officials from government of the late Republic of Texas. Rector was the Reverend Edward Fontaine, great-grandson of Patrick Henry and Secretary in 1841 to President Mirabeau Lamar.
Renamed Saint Davidís in 1859. Home church of the first Bishop of the Diocese of Texas, the Right Reverend Alexander Gregg.
Although 19th and 20th century additions to the early building have changed it greatly, its sturdy frontier aspect has been preserved. The bell still in use was cast in Philadelphia in 1853. The stained glass windows are mainly of the Victorian period.
Churchís first organist, the novelist Amelia Barr, said that “it stood at the gate of the city like a visible prayer.” As an example of historic stability it stands today in the heart of the city.
Erected 1966 by the Texas Historic Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14196.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 E 7th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Platt-Simpson Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Driskill Hotel (about 500 feet away); J. L. Buaas Building (about 600 feet away); Site of John Bremond & Company (about 600 feet away); Sixth Street (about 600 feet away); Stephen F. Austin Hotel (about 800 feet away); Littlefield Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . St. David's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016.