“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Simpson United Methodist Church

Simpson United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 25, 2007
1. Simpson United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This congregation grew from an early Sunday school class directed by Annas Brown, Richard Dukes and Mrs. Vina Harris Forehand, members of Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, for residents of the far eastern section of Austin. In December 1880 the group organized as the Simpson Mission Methodist Episcopal Church. The congregation name was chosen to honor Bishop Matthew Simpson (d. 1884), a pioneer Methodist leader who was also an active political negotiator, an abolitionist and a noted orator.

Worship services were first held in a community schoolhouse. A frame sanctuary, constructed at the corner of Concho and Gregory Streets in May 1881, was used until the congregation moved to this site in 1922. New facilities were later added here to accommodate the church's continued growth.

Known as Simpson United Methodist Church since 1970, this fellowship has played a significant role in the development of Austin's black community for over a century. Church programs, including mission work, service projects and revivals, have reflected the congregation's strong sense of community pride and involvement. Pastors and members here have included many prominent Methodist leaders.
Erected 1982 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14406.)
Simpson United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, November 25, 2007
2. Simpson United Methodist Church
30° 16.4′ N, 97° 43.309′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 E 12th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James L. Farmer, Jr. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southgate-Lewis House (about 600 feet away); Site of Old Anderson High School; Kealing Jr. High School (about 700 feet away); Desegregation of Texas High Schools (approx. mile away); King-Tears Mortuary (approx. mile away); George Washington Carver Branch Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Susanna W. Dickinson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thompson Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,117 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement