Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Smith-Clark-Smith House

 
 
Smith-Clark-Smith House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
1. Smith-Clark-Smith House Marker
Inscription. When the State Capitol burned in 1881, Scottish-born James Baird Smith (1843-1907) cleared the site and erected a temporary statehouse nearby. Salvaged brick and stone, which he used to build this rent house about 1886, probably came from the burned Capitol. The first tenant was noted banker John G. Palm (1846-1927). Later owner (1924) and occupant (1925-43) Lucille Clark, of a prominent Austin family, sold the property in 1959 to Mr. and Mrs. Homer D. Smith, who restored it.
 
Erected 1975 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6419.)
 
Location. 30° 16.648′ N, 97° 44.688′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 504 W 14th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mauthe-Myrick Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Austin High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wahrenberger House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Price Daniel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel H. Caswell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Christian Church
Smith-Clark-Smith House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
2. Smith-Clark-Smith House
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Goodman Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herblin – Shoe House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement