Franklin in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Log Post Oﬃce
The oldest known structure standing in Franklin, the Old Log Post Office is a reminder of the links the community's earliest members maintained to the rest of the young state of Ohio and to the United States during the early nineteenth century. John Noble Cumming Schenck, older brother of one of the founders of Franklin, William C. Schenck, established a store here in 1802. In 1805 President Thomas Jefferson appointed John Schenck postmaster of Franklin, a position he held until 1829. Schenck's store is considered Franklin's first post office and was one of the first four in Warren County. This building first stood at 310 South River Street and over the years was completely covered by additions and clapboards. They were removed in October 1974 and the house was moved to this location on December 6 of that year. In 1976 the structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
[Marker above doorway]
1805 - 1812
John N. C. Schenck
First Postmaster 1805 - 1829
Building originally located at 310 S. River
Street was donated to the Franklin Area
Historical Society by Judge J. T. Riley. It was
moved and restored by donations of time
and money of many Franklin friends.
National Register of Historic Buildings
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Franklin Bicentennial Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-83.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 39° 33.575′ N, 84° 18.392′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of River Street and 5th Street, on the right when traveling south on River Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin OH 45005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Preservation of Log Post Office (here, next to this marker); The Thirkield Store (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Cumming Schenck (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Davis Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mackinaw Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin In The Civil War (approx. 1.1 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 1.1 miles away); Franklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . .
1. Dating the Old Log Post Office. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Old Log Post Office. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Franklin Area Historical Society. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Government • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 907 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.