Franklin in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Preservation of Log Post Oﬃce
“The Long Journey Begins”
[North face of the pavilion]
It all started in June 1974 when Franklin Judge J.T. Riley decided to replace the white building pictured here. It was reputed that the right portion was where J.N.C. Schenck had his store and post office. He was appointed Territorial Postmaster in 1802 and Postmaster in 1803 when Ohio became a state.
Riley donated the log post office to the Franklin Area Historical Society with a term that it must be moved before December 31. Fund raising took some time. On December 6 all was ready to move the building some two blocks south on River Street. A significant date: On April 9, 1976, we were notified by the Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board that the Log Post Office had been entered in the National Register of Historic Places. We are the oldest standing post office on the National Register in the state of Ohio.
The Log Post Office had been protected with clapboard for almost 2 hundred years. For 30 years Mother Nature did a number on it basically on a number of the large logs. The rings [on] one of the logs were counted: 219 - this meant it was alive in the late 1500s!
We have given you a peek of some of the items displayed on the first and second floors.
[South face of the pavilion]
The historical growth of the United States is
After the Revolutionary War, the Ohio Company of Associates, led by General Rufus Putnam, scouted the Northwest Territory and established Ohio's first permanent settlement in Marietta on April 1788. The nation's westward expansion from across the Allegheny Mountains began with this Ohio settlement. In 1796, General William Schenck and Daniel Cooper founded the town of Franklin, Ohio. Warren County's first post office was established in Franklin 1n 1802. The General's brother, John Noble Cummings Schenck, was appointed its first Postmaster.
[Transcription of letter establishing the post office]
[August] 5, 
New Post offices have been established at the following places in the North Western Territory viz: Middletown, Williamsburg, Hamilton, Franklin, Dayton, & Staunton. I pray you, (taking the advice the advices of Judge Meggs & others, your friends) to give me the name of a suitable postmaster for each of those offices without delay. The public service will be injured by an inattention to this request.
G.G. [Gideon Granger, Postmaster General from 1801 to 1814]
Erected by Franklin Area Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin OH 45005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Log Post Office (here, next to this marker); The Thirkield Store (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Cumming Schenck (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Davis Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mackinaw Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin In The Civil War (approx. 1.1 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 1.1 miles away); Franklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . .
1. The Old Log Post Office. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Franklin Area Historical Society. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Communications • Government • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Natural Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.