Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wyandott Indian Mission

First Methodist Mission in America

 
 
Wyandott Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
1. Wyandott Indian Mission Marker
Inscription. Founded by John Stewart, a black man, in 1816, the Wyandott Indian Mission became the first officially recognized mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America three years later. A stone Mission Church was built on this spot in 1824, under the supervision of the Rev. James B. Finley. The Wyandott Indians worshipped here until 1843. The building fell in ruins in later years. It was restored in 1889 and designated a national historic shrine by the General Conference of The Methodist Church in 1960.
 
Erected 1974 by The General Commission on Archives and History, The United Methodist Church.
 
Location. 40° 50.136′ N, 83° 16.722′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street and North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Church Street. Click for map. To view this historic marker, when traveling on US 23, take the exit for state routes 53 and 67 and head south towards the village of Upper Sandusky, Ohio, for approximately 1.6 miles. Then look to turn left (east) on East Church Street. Upon turning onto East Church Street, head east for approximately 0.2 miles and the marker should be readily seen on the left (north) side of the
Wyandott Indian Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
2. Wyandott Indian Mission Marker
View of historical marker in the foreground with Ohio Historical Marker for the "Departing Wyandot Indians" in the right background and the Missionary Church in the distant left background.
street, the side of the street where the cemetery is located, about 0.2 miles east of state routes 53 and 67. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Church Street, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Departure of the Wyandot Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); John Stewart (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wyandot Mission Church (about 400 feet away); Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Fort Ferree (approx. 0.6 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wyandot Indian Council House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Native Americans
 
Wyandott Indian Mission image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 6, 2008
3. Wyandott Indian Mission
View of the Wyandott Indian Mission.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement