Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Stuart Female Seminary
Ashbel Smith, M.D. (past board member, United States Military Academy), was first president of the board of trustees. His successor (1886) was D.F. Stuart, M.D., brother of Mrs. Red. Board members included another brother, R.C. Stuart, State Legislator J.N.P. Cramer, Judge Z.T. Fulmore, the Rev. Josephus Johnson, and the Rev. J.W. Miller. On faculty were Dr. G.C. Red and the Red children, William, Clark, Lel, and Harriet (Mrs. S.W. McJunkin); also Miss Janet Downie, and Mmes. Fannie Speed Davies, Anna Ritz, and Margaret Stiles.
In 1886, at the death of the founder, her daughter “Miss Lel” Red (1859-1946) became principal. In 1889 Miss Red married the Rev. J.M. Purcell, and they continued the school until 1899, when the Red heirs deeded this site to the Presbyterian Synod of Texas. Here in 1902 the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary began its work. It moved to University of Texas area in 1907, but site has remained in public usage.
Erected 1973 by
Location. 30° 15.99′ N, 97° 43.637′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of East 9th Street and Navasota Street, on the right when traveling west on East 9th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1212 E 9th St, Austin TX 78702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Tom (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Winslow Turner (about 300 feet away); George Weedon (about 300 feet away); James Allison York (about 300 feet away); Dr. Gideon Lincecum (about 300 feet away); James Wales Jones (about 300 feet away); State Cemetery of Texas (about 300 feet away); Thomas Pliney Plaster (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Stuart Seminary (Submitted on January 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.