“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Swedish Central Methodist Church

Swedish Central Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, August 18, 2007
1. Swedish Central Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1873 by the Rev. Carl Charnquist, the Swedish Methodist Church built a sanctuary at Red River and 15th street. Led by the Rev. O.E. Olander, the congregation moved to this site in 1898 and occupied buildings of disbanded Central Methodist Church. The fellowship added “Central” to its name and later dropped “Swedish”. Church property, then across from the Capitol grounds at Colorado and 13th street, was sold in 1956 for expansion of state offices. Renamed Memorial Methodist Church, the historic congregation moved to northeast Austin.
Erected 1975 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15330.)
Location. 30° 16.571′ N, 97° 44.467′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of West 14th Street and Colorado Street, on the right when traveling east on West 14th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. State Bar of Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wahrenberger House (about 300 feet away); Price Daniel (about 300 feet away); Goodman Building (about 400 feet away); St. Martinís Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 600 feet away); Carrington-Covert House (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Austin (about 700 feet away); Terry Rangers Monument (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 73 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement