Chantilly in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Colonel John Singleton Mosby
Erected 1986 by the Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number B 12.)
Location. 38° 53.805′ N, 77° 26.208′ W. Marker is in Chantilly, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway (U.S. 50) and Sully Road (Virginia Route 28), on the right when traveling west on Lee-Jackson Memorial Highway. Click for map. Marker is in the cloverleaf just east of the overpass. Marker is in this post office area: Chantilly VA 20151, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Sully Farms (approx. ¾ mile away); Sully Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Salisbury Plain (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mitchell-Weeks House (approx. one mile away); Clover Hill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chantilly The Cross Farmhouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Walney Dairy (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chantilly.
Regarding Colonel John Singleton Mosby. This marker is a "bookend" of sorts to a similar one standing near Winchester, Frederick County to the west on US. Highway 50, numbered B 16 (see related markers). Between the two, Col. Mosby's forces operated extensively.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . .
1. John Singleton Mosby Museum. (Submitted on September 17, 2006.)
2. John Singleton Mosby (1833–1916). (Submitted on September 17, 2006.)
3. Mosby's Rangers.com. (Submitted on September 17, 2006.)
Additional keywords. The Gray Ghost
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,092 times since then and 92 times this year. Last updated on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.