Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

F. Weigl Iron Works

 
 
F. Weigl Iron Works Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 9, 2007
1. F. Weigl Iron Works Marker
Inscription. Ironsmith Fortunat Weigl (1884-1973) migrated to Austin in 1913 from Germany with his wife Anna and sons F. Lee and Herbert. Work was scarce until 1917, when Weigl was commissioned by the noted local woodcarver Peter Mansbendel, who supplied a forge and tools. In 1922 Weigl established his own ornamental iron works, which he moved to this site in 1935. With the help of his sons, he produced original works, entirely hand-wrought, for many significant Austin homes, the State Capitol, and buildings of the Universities of Texas and Texas A&M. His firm remained in operation until 1977.
 
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14294.)
 
Location. 30° 15.732′ N, 97° 44.334′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Red River Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Red River St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Headquarters of the United States Army for 5th Military District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grinninger Fence (approx. 0.2 miles away); O. Henry (approx. mile away);
F. Weigl Iron Works Building image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, September 9, 2007
2. F. Weigl Iron Works Building
Cactus Theater (approx. 0.3 miles away); Randerson-Lundell Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); J. L. Buaas Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Austin, C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Congress Avenue (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 836 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement