“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clearlake Oaks in Lake County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Ranch House

Ranch House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen R. Myers, September 26, 2009
1. Ranch House Marker
Inscription. Considered by some to be the oldest dwelling in Lake County, the Ranch House was built in the 1850ís to 1860ís. It was associated with the earliest settlement of High Valley and beginnings of agriculture in Lake County. It is a one and one half story version of a Greek revival home. Swiss immigrants, Joachin and Anna Durst were the first known owners of the property in the 1860ís. They were among the earliest settlers in Lake County. Samuel T. Weston occupied the ranch in late 19th and early 20th Centuries. Aaron and Julia Shaul acquired the property in 1923. Additions were made in the 1930ís and restored in the early 21st Century. The Brassfield Family bought the property and house in 1973 and is currently one of the finest wineries in California.

Dedicated September 26, 2009
(Clampyear 6014)
by the Ancient and Honorable
Order of E Clampsus Vitus
Branciforte 1797 and Yerba Buena
No. 1 Capitulis Redivivus
Erected 2009 by Branciforte 1797 and Yerba Buena No.1, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 39° 2.782′ N, 122° 42.545′ W. Marker is in Clearlake Oaks, California, in Lake County. Marker
Ranch House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stephen R. Myers
2. Ranch House Marker
is on High Valley Road (Business County Road 220). Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10915 High Valley Road, Clearlake Oaks CA 95423, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lower Lake Stone Jail (approx. 10.8 miles away); Clearlake Lodge #130 I.O.O.F. (approx. 10.9 miles away); Lower Lake Schoolhouse (approx. 10.9 miles away); Bloody Island (Bo-no-po-ti) (approx. 12 miles away); Bloody Island (approx. 12.2 miles away); Diamond Match Lumber Co. (approx. 13.5 miles away); The IOOF Hall (approx. 13.6 miles away); The Livery Stable (approx. 13.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is located between the Ranch House and the main building of the Brassfield Estate Winery.
Also see . . .  Brassfield Estate Winery. Photo of the ranch house can be seen on the wineryís website. (Submitted on January 21, 2010.) 
Categories. AgricultureNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stephen R. Myers of Dublin, California. This page has been viewed 1,281 times since then and 123 times this year. Last updated on , by Stephen R. Myers of Dublin, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Stephen R. Myers of Dublin, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement