Smithfield in Isle of Wight County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Luke’s Church
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-245.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 36° 56.304′ N, 76° 35.191′ W. Marker is in Smithfield, Virginia, in Isle of Wight County. Marker is at the intersection of Benns Church Boulevard (Virginia Route 10) and Brewers Neck Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smithfield VA 23430, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benn’s Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Luke's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Josiah Parker (approx. 1.6 miles away); Missile Magazine and Launch Operations (approx. 2.1 miles away); People and Places, circa 1957 at N-75L (approx. 2.1 miles away); 1954 Nike-Ajax Missile Site N-75L (approx. 2.2 miles away); Nike-Ajax Missile Radar Control Site N-75C (approx. 2.9 miles away); Liquid Maze (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Smithfield.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Graveyards of Southeast Virginia - St. Luke's Church. Three pages showing pictures of several graves and other markers at St. Luke’s Church. (Submitted on September 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Historic St. Luke's Church Website. Includes history and artifacts of St. Luke's. (Submitted on September 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Surveyor remarks.
St. Luke’s, or as it was called prior to the Revolution: “The Old Brick Church”, was built under the care of Joseph Bridger [d. 1686] sometime between 1632 and 1662, in what was then the Warrescoyack Parish, later divided in 1642 into Newport and Warrescoyack.
The church is remarkable as the only remaining example of a buttressed Gothic Church of the seventeenth century in America.
The church remained in constant use until about the first quarter of the 18th century when if fell into disrepair. In 1887 the roof fell in carrying down part of the walls. The building remained in a state of disuse until a restoration was begun in 1890 under the direction of the Rev. David Barr, then rector of the Church. The work was completed about 1897. The present stained glass was set in at this time.
From a Historical American Buildings Survey, compiled after 1933 (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.va0599).
— Submitted September 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,568 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.