Loris in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Loris Training School
Loris Training School, which stood here from 1928 to 1955, was the first school for black students in Loris and other nearby communities. Built at a cost of $4,700, it was one of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. William P. Johnson, Sr. (1910-2007), the first principal once it became a public school, led Loris Training School 1931-1941.
The Loris Training School opened in 1928 with grades 1-7 and a six-month term, but William P. Johnson eventually won approval for a nine-month term and for adding grades 8-11. George C. Cooper (1915-1991) was principal here from 1941 until the school closed in 1955. Its students were transferred to the Finklea Consolidated High School, with Cooper as principal there until it closed with desegregation in 1970.
Erected 2008 by the Finklea High/Loris Training Schools Alumni Association. (Marker Number 26-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 34° 3.903′ N, 78° 53.44′ W. Marker is in Loris, South Carolina, in Horry County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3416 Cedar St., Loris SC 29569, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Tabor (approx. 6 miles away in North Carolina); The Tabor City Tribune (approx. 6.4 miles away in North Carolina); Green Sea Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.