Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Apostle to the
of missions of
Location. 40° 50.193′ N, 83° 16.695′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street and North 4th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Church Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyandot Mission Church (a few steps from this marker); Departure of the Wyandot Indians (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wyandott Indian Mission (about 400 feet away); Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Fort Ferree (approx. 0.6 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wyandot Indian Council House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
More about this marker. To view this historic marker, when traveling on US 23,
Also see . . .
1. John Stewart, First Missionary. Excerpt from the book "Moccasin Trails to the Cross" by Thelma Marsh. (Submitted on January 26, 2010.)
2. The Old Mission Church. "The Wyandot Indian Mission was founded by John Stewart in 1816. Three years later, the Wyandot Mission became the first officially recognized mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America." (Submitted on January 26, 2010.)
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Native Americans • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.