Fitchburg in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School
District No. 9
Erected by the Fitchburg Historical Society and the City of Fitchburg.
Location. 43° 0.084′ N, 89° 25.713′ W. Marker is in Fitchburg, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Lacy Road and Fish Hatchery and Lacy Roads, on the right when traveling south on Lacy Road. Click for map. On the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5574 Lacy Road, Madison WI 53711, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School (approx. 1.6 miles away); The McCoy Farmhouse (approx. 1.9 miles away); John Mann House (approx. 2.6 miles away); University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum (approx. 2.8 miles away); Nakoma Lake View School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Spring Hotel (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Spring Tavern (approx. 3.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fitchburg.
Regarding Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School. “Dogtown” or “Dogtown Corners” was a settlement based at the intersection of Fish Hatchery (“Old Janesville”) Road and Lacy Road in the Township of Fitchburg. The settlement formed and prospered around a stagecoach stop on the Janesville to Madison route.
The Dogtown School was founded around 1860, about 10 years after other schools in the township. The area of Dogtown, located in the northern part of the township, was settled later than other areas of the township. Its proximity to Madison, the state capitol, made the land attractive to speculators who sold the land later and at higher prices.
Dogtown gradually declined when railroad stops at Syene and the Village of Fitchburg replaced stagecoach travel. No trace of Dogtown’s original businesses remain.
Dogtown School was renamed Fish Hatchery School. The name caused confusion and into the 1950s the school continued to receive letters from people around the country who wanted to learn to operate a fish hatchery.
The school served 8 grades, but no kindergarten. In the 1900s, the school was extended by 4 feet to accommodate the 44 children. The photo on the marker was taken in 1911 and shows the 4-foot extension.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 954 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.