“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Coupland in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Carlson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 29, 2007
1. Carlson Marker
Inscription. Brothers Pete and John Carlson, Swedish immigrants who came to America in 1869, settled in this area in 1881. Pete opened Carlson store, the first store in the community, and John operated the local cotton gin. The town’s economy was based on cotton farming. At its height in the early 20th century, Carlson included family farms, the cotton gin (known as Larson Gin after Henry Larson bought it), the Carlson Store (later called the Nelson Store after it was purchased by J.B. Nelson), a school, a community band hall, and a community club.
Erected 1991 by the Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 25.669′ N, 97° 27.132′ W. Marker is near Coupland, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Lund Carlson Road and Manda Carlson Road, on the right when traveling east on Lund Carlson Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coupland TX 78615, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manda (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Willow Ranch School (approx. 2.4 miles away); New Sweden Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Kimbro (approx. 3 miles away); James O. Rice (approx. 3.6 miles away); Lund (approx. 3.7 miles away); St. Peters United Church of Christ (approx. 4.2 miles away); United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coupland.
Also see . . .  Handbook of Texas Online. Carlson, Texas (Submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 58 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement