Redland in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Upon his death in 1877, Walker was buried in this cemetery, which had been established before he purchased the land in 1858. Originally known as Red Land cemetery, this burial ground was in use for decades before Walker was buried here. One early marked grave is that of Nathaniel S. Abney (d. 1855), the young son of settler Paul C. Abney.
In March 1892, Walker's widow deeded part of the cemetery land to community trustees. At this same time, J. W. Chamblee deeded another portion, making it a three-acre plot. Additional acreage was acquired in the 20th century, increasing the burial ground to its current size.
Maintained by a cemetery association, the Tom Walker cemetery, as it is known today, holds the history of this early east Texas community and its people.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14371.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redland Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Angelina & Neches River Railroad (approx. 1.9 miles away); Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas (approx. 3.5 miles away); German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry (approx. 3.5 miles away); Mantooth Farm (approx. 3.5 miles away); Angelina (approx. 3.7 miles away); Southland Paper Mills, Inc. (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,237 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.