Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots
The original log courthouse finished in 1751 was forty feet square. The present Greek Revival style county courthouse sits on the same site. It was designed by Baltimore, Maryland, architect Robert Cary Long, Jr., and completed in 1840 for $12,000. The clerk's office located next to the courthouse, was built of logs in 1747. It was used by Colonel Wood, who served as the first clerk of the county court.
On the northeast corner of Loudoun and Boscawen streets stood the first Episcopal or Anglican church, a log structure built about 1745. This church was part of Frederick Parish, created in 1738 by an act of the Virginia House of Burgesses. The present church, which is two blocks west of this site, was built in 1828 from the designs of Robert Mills, the renowned architect who designed the Washington Monument, the U.S. Post
Two rectors played significant roles in the Revolutionary War. The Reverend Charles Mynn Thurston was captain of a company of volunteers who marched away to join the Continental forces. The Reverend Alexander Balmain, rector in 1781, was chaplain to General Peter Muhlenburg's 8th Virginia Continental Army Brigade. The site of the first church included a burial ground located behind the church next to the jail. Next to it was a log structure built about 1745 It was flanked by the instruments of justice of the day: a whipping post, two sets of stocks, and a dunking stool to punish offenders such as gossiping citizens.
Erected by the Members of Frederick Episcopal Parhish in cooperation with F&M Bank.
Location. 39° 11.05′ N, 78° 9.93′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Loudoun Street and East Boscawan Street, on the right when traveling north on North Loudoun Street. Click for map. Loudoun Street is closed to vehicle traffic near the marker. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Taylor Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Frederick County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Lord Fairfax (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel James Wood (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington's Political Career Began on this Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Winchester (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob H. Yost Building (about 300 feet away); The Godfrey Miller Home (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Winchester.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Government • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,229 times since then and 226 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.