Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church

 
 
Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 17, 2010
1. Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. The first Episcopal service in Lufkin was held in 1893 by the Rev. George L. Crocket for the W.G. Barron and R.B. Shearer families. St. Mary's Mission was established in 1895 by the Rev. C.M. Beckwith, but the congregation did not have a permanent church building until 1906 when the structure on this site was erected and the name St. Cyprian's was adopted. The building was bricked in 1929 and later gutted by fire, after which the congregation moved to another location. St. Cyprian's original sanctuary stands today as Lufkin's oldest existing church building.
 
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8721.)
 
Location. 31° 20.56′ N, 94° 43.56′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street and Paul Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Second Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 N Second St., Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Angelina (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (about 600 feet away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.2 miles
Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 25, 2010
2. Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church Marker
away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kerr's Inc. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mantooth Farm (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Calder (Cotton) Square (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lufkin.
 
More about this marker. The building now houses the Museum of East Texas.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 968 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement