Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“Today we made the beginning in the ground breaking for our new potter's house, which will be built toward the Monocacy, westward from the Gemein and Choir Houses, in such a way that a row of still needed shops can be added later in a row...”
July 30, 17xx?
The potter was one of early Bethlehem's most important craftsmen. He made cups, plates, bowls, and other necessities for everyday life out of red clay. His skills also supplied roof tiles for buildings and tiles for tile stoves used to heat buildings.
At first Moravian potters worked on the south side of the Lehigh River. In 1749, they built the first pottery in Bethlehem at this location. The pottery operation ended here in 1767 when the equipment was moved to another site. Thereafter, the building was used by the stocking weaver and clothmatker and also housed the widowers of the community.
Around 1900, the former pottery was partially demolished and replaced by brownstown buildings. These brownstones were demolished in the 1960s, leaving only one wall of the original pottery still standing.
[Marker drawing caption]
These redware pieces made in Bethlehem were found during archaeological excavations of the pottery.
[Marker is damaged]
Erected by Historic Bethlehem, HistoryWorks!, and Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
Location. 40° 37.156′ N, 75° 22.943′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Old York Road, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is about fifty feet north of the NE limit of the Main Street Bridge over the Monocacy Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Industrial Quarter (a few steps from this marker); Smith Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Moravian Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Waterworks (within shouting distance of this marker); Waterworks (within shouting distance of this marker); First Bethlehem Pharmacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Oil Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Bethlehem.
Also see . . . Colonial Industrial Quarter. (Submitted on January 26, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.