Inscription. Nearby stands the glebe house of the formerly Anglican Southwark Parish that was built soon after 1724. A glebe was a parcel of land owned by a colonial church and farmed to pay the ministerís expenses. This glebe house was used as a parish rectory and is one in a rare surviving group in Virginia. The first to live here was the Reverend John Cargill, a leading colonial cleric. The dis-establishment of the Anglican church resulted in the property's sale into private ownership in 1802. Exterior chimneys were added and the gable roof was rebuilt as a gambrel. The property was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1975 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
|1. Glebe House of Southwark Parish Marker|
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-228.)
Location. 37° 8.131′ N, 76° 53.526′ W. Marker is near Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is on Colonial Trail East (Virginia Route 10) north of Hollybush Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Southwark Parish Churches (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paceís Paines (approx. 0.3 miles away); English Settlement on Grayís Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Organization of the Christian Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Smithís Fort Plantation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Chanco (approx. 3.2 miles away); Surry County War Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Surry County Confederate Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Surry.
|2. The Glebe House, c 1976|
|Photo is from the National Register of Historic Places & Virginia Landmarks Register.
Also see . . . National Registry of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form for The Glebe House. The Nomination Form for The Glebe House of Southwark Parish, including historic information and pictures. "The Glebe House of Southwark Parish in Surry County is one of a small group of colonial glebe houses in Virginia. Associated with the Reverend John Cargill, a prominent figure among the Virginia clergy of the early eighteenth century, the house retains many original features despite a series of alterations..." (Submitted on September 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,912 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 24, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. 2. submitted on September 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |