Inscription. Southwark Parish was established in 1647. To the northeast stood the second Southwark church built by 1673 and abandoned shortly after the American Revolution. To the east, near Baconís Castle, Southwark Parish vestry completed the Lower Southwark Church in 1754. It too fell into disuse after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church, but other denominations occasionally held services there. Episcopalians settled a mission at the church in 1847, but were forced by the other groups using the building to erect their own church nearby. Fire gutted the building in 1868, but some brick ruins remain.
By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
|1. Southwark Parish Churches Marker|
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-229.)
Location. 37° 7.995′ N, 76° 53.202′ W. Marker is in Surry, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is at the intersection of Colonial Trail West (Virginia Route 10) and Hollybush Road (County Route 618), on the left when traveling north on Colonial Trail West. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paceís Paines (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); English Settlement on Grayís Creek (about 300 feet away); Glebe House of Southwark Parish (approx. 0.3 miles away); Organization of the Christian Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Smithís Fort Plantation (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chanco (approx. 2.9 miles away); Surry County War Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Surry County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Surry.
More about this marker. This marker sits across the street from two other markers: K-224 and K-319
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,581 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 24, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |