Dawson in Terrell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Gun Shop
Which made Dickson-Nelson rifles
1864 – 1865
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 31° 46.4′ N, 84° 26.733′ W. Marker is in Dawson, Georgia, in Terrell County. Marker is at the intersection of East Lee Street (Georgia Route 32) and Stonewall Street SE, on the right when traveling east on East Lee Street. Click for map. The marker is on the lawn of the Terrell County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson GA 39842, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Terrell County (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Gun Shop (approx. half a mile away); Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Herod Town (approx. 5.1 miles away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 5.2 miles away); Pursuit of Jefferson Davis (approx. 14.3 miles away).
1. Dickson-Nelson Rifles
In 1861 the state of Alabama contracted the Shakanoosa Arms Company, owned by William Dickson, Owen O. Nelson and Dr. Lewis H. Sadler, to produce a modified version of the Model 1841 rifled musket (the "Mississippi" Rifle) with bayonets. Originally the firm was at Dickson, Alabama, but soon moved to Rome, Georgia. A fire destroyed the facilities there, and the company moved to Adairsville, Georgia. Finally in March 1864, the company moved to Dawson, Georgia, where it continued to produce weapons up to the end of the war. With less than 1000 received by Confederate forces, today the Dickson-Nelson rifles are rare.
— Submitted January 29, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,190 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.