Inscription. The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles.
Similar to golf or tennis clubs, this was instead a driving club since the ownership of an automobile was the latest rage. A great race track, designed after the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, was begun and graded but never completed. It's north and south straightaways are now today's Lakeshore and South Lakeshore Drives.
The place became a favorite locale for dances, barbecues and meetings for as many as 25,000 people at a time.
Ownership evolved from the Motor Club to Investors Syndicate of Minneapolis, Minnesota to Jefferson County to Samford University, and others.
Initial annexing into Homewood began in 1959.
By Tim Carr, August 11, 2008
|1. Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club Marker|
Erected 2003 by City of Homewood and the Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society.
Location. 33° 27.66′ N, 86° 47.652′ W. Marker is in Homewood, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Lakeshore Drive and University Park East, on the right when traveling east on Lakeshore Drive. Click for map. Located at the turn to the Homewood High School. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samford University (approx. ¼ mile away); Sibyl Temple (approx. 0.6 miles away); A History Of Vestavia Hills (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hallman Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Edgewood (approx. 1.2 miles away); “We Love Homewood” (approx. 1.3 miles away); Vestavia Hills Baptist Church / George Ward 1867-1940 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Homewood (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Homewood.
Also see . . .
1. Edgewood Lake from Bham Wiki. (Submitted on January 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. Edgewood Lake imposed over current Google map. (Submitted on January 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,329 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |