Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hollister in San Benito County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of San Justo Ranch Home

 
 
Site of San Justo Ranch Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 16, 2010
1. Site of San Justo Ranch Home Marker
The marker is mounted on a low cement monument on the edge of an empty field, directly across the street from the Police Department.
Inscription.
Site of San Justo Ranch Home
of
Colonel W.W. Hollister
for whom
this city was named
at its founding in 1868


Marker placed by San Benito County Historical Society
Copa de Oro Parlor, Native Daughters of the Golden West
1965
 
Erected 1965 by Copa de Oro Parlor, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 36° 51.161′ N, 121° 24.283′ W. Marker is in Hollister, California, in San Benito County. Marker is on 4th Street west of Monterey Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hollister CA 95023, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Clyde "Wino Willie" Forkner, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); State Theatre (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hollister Train Service (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cottage Corners (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of the Tres Pinos Hotel (approx. 6.3 miles away); 19th Hole Rendevous
Site of San Justo Ranch Home Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 16, 2010
2. Site of San Justo Ranch Home Marker - Wide View
From Barrows and Ingersoll's A Memorial and Biographical History of the Coast Counties of Central California(1893), "...Hollister, the county seat of San Benito county, was named after Colonel W. W. Hollister..., who, with the Flints and Bixby's brought improved American sheep all the way from Ohio, in the early fifties, to California... These enterprising sheep farmers, pioneers in introducing improved sheep into this State, purchased the "San Justo ranch," a Mexican grant of nearly 35,000 acres.... Colonel Hollister acquired control of the ranch, and in 1862, built what is known as the Montgomery House, the oldest house in the present town of Hollister. It is said that during the '60s, there were several hundred feet of troughs used for watering sheep in the vicinity of where Third street is now located."
(approx. 6.5 miles away); Vineyard School (approx. 6.6 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 7.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hollister.
 
Also see . . .  San Benito County History Society. The history section of website provides a history of Hollister. (Submitted on January 29, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 908 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement