Ratcliff in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sold 1901 to Louisiana & Texas Lumber Co., then to Central Coal & Coke Co., sawmill became a vast complex. Running until 1917, when it closed. Turning to logging or other enterprises, the community survived, although many residents moved away. The Ratcliff schools consolidated (1955) with Kennard.
Erected 1972 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7016.)
Location. 31° 23.498′ N, 95° 8.385′ W. Marker is in Ratcliff, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on State Highway 7 just from Farm to Market Road 227, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. About 50 ft before F.M. 227, across from gas station. Marker is in this post office area: Ratcliff TX 75858, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ratcliff CCC Camp (approx. ¼ mile away); Four C Mill (approx. half a mile away); Community of Coltharp (approx. 2 miles away); Hagerville Community (approx. 2 miles away); Former Rosenwald School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Kennard (approx. 3.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Kennard (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin (approx. 11.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ratcliff.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 6 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?