Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
From a Burying Ground to a Park
Council Minutes of July 6th, 1824 Robert Lewis, Mayor (Buried in the Masonic Lodge Cemetery)
In 1774, St. George’s Parish purchased the land that comprises Hurkamp Park today. It was to be a church cemetery, but in 1787, after the Revolution and disestablishment of the Anglican Church in America, the Corporation of Fredericksburg appropriated this land for a public burying ground. The western lot line of the cemetery coincided with the town boundary and is still marked by a brick wall.
After burials ended, in 1853, the Corporation Burying Ground fell into disrepair. The cemetery served as a bivouac site during the Civil War and livestock grazed among the graves in its aftermath. In 1875, the Fredericksburg City Council sought to convert the neglected grounds to a public park and crews began removing headstones and graves to other cemeteries. On July 12, 1881, the new park was dedicated and named in honor of prominent local businessman John G. Hurkamp.
In 1953, the Fredericksburg Rescue Squad asked to lease a portion of the park. At that time, legal research revealed that there was no recorded conveyance of the property to the City. The local government had simply assumed
Caption of picture in lower left: John Hurkamp resided at 406 Hanover Street, from 1862 until his death in 1886. This ornamental cast iron fence and gate, which is still standing at the above address, bears Hurkamp’s name. Both this fence and the Hurkamp Park gate were designed by Benjamin Bowering and cast at the Hope Foundry of Fredericksburg.
Caption of picture in upper right: In 1883, John Hurkamp donated a handsome cast iron gate bearing the name “Hurkamp Park” in raised letters. This circa 1900 photo shows this gate as well as the brick wall along the western edge of the park. The brick wall on the remaining three sides was removed in 1898.
Caption of picture in lower right: I selected the point behind the wall of a cemetery, which is actually within the town. It is quite a large piece of ground, and would hold my regiment very readily. There was a brick
Commander of the Seventh Massachusetts, in describing his unit’s activities on May 3, 1863, during the Chancellorsville Campaign.
Erected by City of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 38° 18.106′ N, 77° 27.776′ W. Marker was in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Click for map. Markers are in the center of Hurkamp Park, which is located on the corner of William and Prince Edward Streets. Marker was in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named From a Burying Ground to a Park (here, next to this marker); The Corporation Burying Ground (here, next to this marker); A Memorial Landscape (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fredericksburg Roll of Honor (about 400 feet away); Liberty Town (about 400 feet away); Masonic Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Auction Block (about 500 feet away); The Barton Street Potter's Field (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding From a Burying Ground to a Park.
Also see . . . Report of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War. Seventh Massachusetts volunteers commander, Colonel Johns' account of his position during the Chancellorsville Campaign. (Submitted on September 24, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,807 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.