Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dillsburg in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

History of Dills Tavern

 
 
History of Dills Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 16, 2010
1. History of Dills Tavern Marker
Inscription. Dills Tavern is a twelve room structure erected in three phases from 1794 to 1819. The Dill family maintained a tavern in the area beginning in the 1750's. The tavern was one of several business ventures carried on at this site. A large farm, a mill and a productive distillery kept family members, indentured servants, hired hands and some slaves busy. Regular shipments of whiskey produced in the distillery were sent to Baltimore. The Eichelberger family purchased the plantation in 1800 and kept the tavern open until the 1830's. In time, the structure became a store and eventually a residence. It is the oldest structure standing in Dillsburg Borough.
The tavern is open most Sunday afternoons for tours beginning at 2:00 p.m., a nominal entrance fee is charged for non-members. The tavern is owned and operated by the Northern York County Historical and Preservation Society.
Please visit our web site for more information. Phone 717-502-1440

Left Photo
Conceptual View of 1794 Tavern

Right Photo
Conceptual View with circa 1800 addition
 
Erected by Northern York County Historical and Preservation Society.
 
Location. 40° 6.926′ N, 77° 2.208′ W. Marker is in Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
Dills Tavern image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 16, 2010
2. Dills Tavern
, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Baltimore Street and Greenbriar Lane, on the right when traveling south on N. Baltimore Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dillsburg PA 17019, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's Southern Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Williams Grove (approx. 2.2 miles away); Carlisle Iron Works (approx. 5.2 miles away); Daniel Kaufman (approx. 5.3 miles away); Cumberland County Veterans Memorial Clock Tower (approx. 5.4 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 6.5 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. The Dill's Tavern Chronicle. (Submitted on January 30, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. History of Dills Tavern. (Submitted on January 30, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Dills Tavern Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 16, 2010
3. Dills Tavern Plaque
Acquired for the Dillsburg Community
by a gift from
Charles T. and Lucille C. Vogelsong
August 2, 2001
To preserve this historic building for future
generations
Northern York County
Historical and Preservation Society
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement