Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dawson in Terrell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V.

 
 
Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
1. Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker
Inscription. General Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V., the only Camp east of the Mississippi to be named for a General from the west of that river, was organized May 3, 1956, with members from several counties in Southwest Georgia.

General Patrick Ronayne Cleburne (Mar. 17, 1828 - Nov. 30, 1864), Irish-born druggist and soldier, resident of Helena, Arkansas, joined the Confederate Army as Captain of the Yell Rifles. Known as “The Stonewall Jackson of the West,” Major General Cleburne was killed in battle at Franklin, Tennessee, soon after the Battle of Atlanta. According to General Robert E. Lee, he was “a meteor shooting from a clouded sky.”

Charter members of this Camp include: P. C. King, Jr., Commander, William R. Edwards, Raymond Lash, M. M. Fiveash, J. T. Thornton, W.C. Lash, Credille Rogers of Dawson; Bob Cook of Cusseta; J. W. Ivey, T. E. Shaffer, F. P. Love of Cuthbert; Dr. M. B. Bowman of Albany; William F. Cummings of Brinson; Raymond C. Jackson of Tifton; Willie D. Hammock, Jr., of Coleman; Ernest Breedlove Whitchard of Millen; Senator Walter F. George of Vienna. This Camp was organized by Clyde A. Boynton, Division Commander.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 135-2.)
 
Marker series.
Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
2. Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
 
Location. 31° 46.557′ N, 84° 26.796′ W. Marker is in Dawson, Georgia, in Terrell County. Marker is on North Main Street 0 miles from 7th Avenue NE, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson GA 39842, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Terrell County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Gun Shop (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chickasawhatchee Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Herod Town (approx. 5.3 miles away); General Andrew Jackson (approx. 5.3 miles away); Pursuit of Jefferson Davis (approx. 14.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V.. S.C.V. is the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
 
Also see . . .  Patrick Cleburne. The Wikipedia biography of Cleburne. (Submitted on January 30, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWar, US Civil
 
Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
3. Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker
Looking north on North Main Street in Dawson
Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 24, 2010
4. Gen. Patrick Cleburne Camp, S.C.V. Marker
Looking south on North Main Street, past the fire station toward the Terrell County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 969 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement