Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Maumee in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Old Plantation

 
 
The Old Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 30, 2010
1. The Old Plantation Marker
Inscription. Levi Beebe built in 1836 this structure then known as the Commercial Building housing stores, bank, and post office. During the canal era, the building was a stagecoach stop and social center for Maumee, the Lucas County seat until 1853. Later the inn was called the Neely House, Schiely House, the Bismark, Seurin Hotel Langley Inn, and, after 1940, The Old Plantation.
 
Erected 1968 by Maumee Valley Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-48.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 33.881′ N, 83° 38.757′ W. Marker is in Maumee, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road and East Wayne Street, on the right when traveling south on River Road. Click for map. This historical marker is located at the north end of the building known as "The Commercial Building," between the River Road entrance to the parking lot and the building. Marker is in this post office area: Maumee OH 43537, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dudley's Massacre (approx. 0.2 miles away); House of Four Pillars
The Old Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 30, 2010
2. The Old Plantation Marker
View looking south of the historical marker and the north end of "The Commercial Building."
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. half a mile away); to Fort Stephenson / to Fort Meigs (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); to Fort Meigs / to Fort Meigs (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Wolcott House (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Indian Wars (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Maumee.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Old Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 30, 2010
3. The Old Plantation Marker
View looking southwest, from across the street, of the historical marker and the north end of "The Commercial Building."
The Old Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 30, 2010
4. The Old Plantation
View looking northwest of the southeast corner of "The Commercial Building," at the corner of River Road and East Wayne Street.
The Old Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 30, 2010
5. The Old Plantation
View of the business signs that are affixed to the outside of "The Historic Commercial Building."
The Old Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 30, 2010
6. The Old Plantation
View of plaque affixed to the eastern outside wall of the building indicating that it received a Maumee Valley Preservation Award.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement