Statenville in Echols County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 050-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 42.194′ N, 83° 1.677′ W. Marker is in Statenville, Georgia, in Echols County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 129 and Georgia Route 94, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 129. Click for map. The marker stands on the lawn of the Echols County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Statenville GA 31648, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wayfare or Cow Creek Church Skirmish at Cow Creek (approx. 10.7 miles away); Florida Branch Railroad (approx. 13.7 miles away in Florida).
Regarding Echols County. Statenville, the county seat (spelled "Statesville" in the enabling act) is unusual in that it has zero population. In 1958 a bill passed by the General Assembly restricted the city limits to the courthouse square, so the 500 or so people who lived in the town are now residents of the county only.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Political Subdivisions • War, Mexican-American •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,002 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.