Bakersfield in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Only the most impoverished people sought treatment at a hospital.
The first county hospital in Bakersfield opened its doors to the public in January 1875. The hospital was constructed at 13th and G Streets for $1,400.00. It was a plain one-story frame building with the “most primitive facilities for the treatment of patients.”
During the late 1800s, the right to feed, nurse, and even bury patients was awarded to the lowest bidder. As a result, care was often substandard.
The hospital located on G Street was in use for 20 years. It was vacated when a new hospital on Oak Street was completed in 1895.
This building, originally located on Brundage Lane in Bakersfield, was the residence of Judge George Flournoy. David and Mabel Welch donated the building in 1976.
Erected by Kern County Museum.
Location. 35° 23.604′ N, 119° 1.34′ W. Marker is in Bakersfield, California, in Kern County. Marker can be reached from Chester Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located at the rear of the Pioneer Village at the Kern County Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3801 Chester Avenue, Bakersfield CA 93301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Cook Wagon (within shouting distance of this marker); Standard End Pumping Unit (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint John's Episcopal Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonora Service Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Havilah Courier (within shouting distance of this marker); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (within shouting distance of this marker); Norris School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Bakersfield.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Marker placed at the original site.
Also see . . . Kern County Museum – Hospital. The Kern County Museum Website quotes the text of the marker and displays photos. (Submitted on January 31, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. The "Hospital" building was moved to Pioneer Village -- but there is another marker
It is true that the one story hospital from 1875 was moved to the Kern County Museum's "Pioneer Village" by the K.C. Museum folks. But, there is another marker at the ORIGINAL SITE (which is now in a little park, inside
— Submitted May 9, 2015, by Alan Price or Jayne Hotchkiss-Price of Caliente, California.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 5. submitted on , by Alan Price or Jayne Hotchkiss-Price of Caliente, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.