Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Toledo

 

—Ohio Historical Marker —

 
Toledo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 31, 2010
1. Toledo Marker
Close-up view of the south side of this marker.
Inscription. [Front Side of Marker, Facing South]:"Toledo"

After consolidation of the villages of Fort Lawrence and Vistula, the City of Toledo was incorporated in 1837. Originally named "Toledo" in 1833, the site became part of Ohio when the "Toledo War," a bloodless boundary conflict with Michigan, was resolved by Congress in 1836. Settlers were attracted by the commercial potential of the Maumee River, called "Miami of the Lake," and later the Miami-Erie Canal.

[Reverse Side of Marker, Facing North]:"Toledo"

With water and rail transportation, Toledo developed into a major trade center and world port. Before 1900, Toledo manufactured large numbers of bicycles and wagons. In this century, Toledo has become a major automotive manufacturing center. The glass industry was attracted to Toledo in 1888 by the discovery of natural gas south of the city. Since then, Toledo has been widely known as "Glass Capital of the World."
 
Erected 1987 by Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-48.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 39.291′ 
Toledo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 31, 2010
2. Toledo Marker
Close up view of the north side of this historical marker.
N, 83° 32.093′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Road and North Huron Street, in the median on Jackson Road. Click for map. This historical marker is located on the median strip, on the west side of the intersection, in front of the multi-storied building that houses Toledo's municipal government. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43604, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lucas County (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Toledo’s Canals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Vistula Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. half a mile away); The Oliver House (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Duncan Forsyth (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Toledo.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Toledo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 31, 2010
3. Toledo Marker
View looking south down North Huron Street of the historical marker.
Toledo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 31, 2010
4. Toledo Marker
Another more distant view looking south towards North Huron Street and the historical marker, with some of the downtown area in the background.
Toledo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, January 31, 2010
5. Toledo Marker
View looking north up North Huron Street of the historical marker, with Toledo's "One Government Center" building in the left background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,065 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement