Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Jewish American Pioneers and Deadwood
The efforts of the Jewish business community helped bring prosperity, recognition and jobs to the region. Not only did they help build the town and helped rebuild it after its many fires and floods, but they also were able to convince the railroads that Deadwood was entitled to take its place as a major commercial center with a railroad link to
Erected 2005 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation and the Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission.
Location. 44° 22.683′ N, 103° 43.75′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Wall Street, on the right on Main Street. Click for map. Located across the street from the famous Bullock Hotel and just outside the main city parking garage. The marker is located on the site of the original of Bullock and Star's first store in Deadwood. Marker is in this post office area: Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Badlands (here, next to this marker); Original Site of Saloon No. 10 (a few steps from this marker); Historic Facade Replication (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fire of 1879 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Deadwood City 1876 (about 500 feet away); The Great Flood (about 600 feet away); Wild Bill (about 700 feet away); Chinese Immigrants (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Deadwood.
More about this marker. In the upper right of the marker is a picture of
Sol Star and Seth Bullock. The picture in the
The marker contains a detailed walking map of Deadwood's extensive Jewish business community locations. Jewish businesses and their presence in Deadwood are marked with small blue numbers corresponding to names. Included are the Ben Baer Building, Rosenthal's Palace, Gottstein & Franklin Building, Goldberg's Grocery Store, Elk's Building, Franklin Hotel, Masonic Temple, Sol Bloom Building, Sol Bloom Building Annex, Wertheimer Brothers Building, Munter & Lillienthal Building, Levinson Block, D. Holzman Building, Ben Holstein Building, The Bullock Hotel, and the Hattenbach Brothers Building.
Regarding Jewish American Pioneers and Deadwood. Gold was first discovered by soldiers under Gen. George Custer in the Black Hills of the Dakota Territory in 1876. Gold was an explosive allure to frontiersman and fortune seeking gold miners who created rough, and frequently violent gold mining boom towns. Deadwood was just such a boom town when Jewish miners and Jewish merchants moved to the gulch helping to settle the town and “civilize” the community alongside their Christian neighbors.
Also see . . .
1. Deadwood, South Dakota and the Jews. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
2. Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Jewish American
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,850 times since then and 173 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. 3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.