Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Tawery

1768

 
 
Tawery Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
1. Tawery Marker
Inscription.
In the early years of Bethlehem, the tawer processed sheepskins almost exclusively. However, after the 1760s, inventories indicate that deerskins became the primary source of leather for the tawing industry.

The tawer used sheepskins and deerskins to make soft, pliable leather for goods such as bookbindings, fine upholstery, gloves, pocketbooks, and knee breeches. This leather was white, buff, or light tan in color, in contrast to the red-colored, thicker leather produced in the tannery which stood on the opposite side of the raceway.

The first tawery appears on a map of Bethlehem dated 1752. In 1768, a second tawery was built of brick on this site. The tawing business ended around 1827 and the building was used for other purposes including a saloon and bowling alley, restaurant and concert hall.

The building was torn down in the early 1900s.

[Photo caption on marker]
In the late 1880s, William _althane_ [illegible] operated his “Summer Garden” here. Newspaper advertisements declared it to be the “coolest place in town.”

[Marker is damaged]
 
Erected by Historic Bethlehem, HistoryWorks!, and Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
 
Location.
Tawery Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
2. Tawery Marker
Looking southeast, with the Waterworks (stone building) at right distance, in front of the Main Street Bridge over Monocacy Creek. Central Moravian Church (off-white building with open steeple) on heights to left distance of marker.
40° 37.188′ N, 75° 23.001′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Click for map. Marker is in the Colonial Industrial Quarter of Historic Bethlehem, along the former Ohio Road, about 50 feet SE of the Tannery and 50 feet SW of the Springhouse. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Springhouse (a few steps from this marker); Butchery (within shouting distance of this marker); Bark Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Luckenbach Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Dye House (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Industrial Quarter (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Waterworks (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Bethlehem.
 
Also see . . .  Colonial Industrial Quarter. (Submitted on February 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
Tawery Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
3. Tawery Marker
Springhouse in near background. Looking north.
Tawery Photo on Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
4. Tawery Photo on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 557 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement